Sunday, July 22, 2007

Water, Wildlife, and Wake-Ups



Greetings,

As I sit in this myspace-user-frenzy of a computer lab (Balad is one of the only bases in the war that allows myspace (Air Force bases, that is). I'm the only person at Balad not using myspace), I'll try and reflect on some interesting tidbits of information.

There's water everywhere- all in one liter bottles. The water is from the Tigris and is purified locally and shipped over to us here at the base.

The wildlife I've witnessed so far doesn't include the famed camel spiders or scorpions, but instead cute lizards on the walls at night, hungry mice, giant scampering ants, dive bombing pigeons, and finches born in the wrong place (makes you think how lucky the finches in America are... or all of us, for that matter).

This base is Saddam-era- it was taken over during the war and therefore has a lot of the existing infrastructure. There are dozens upon dozens of bunkers and hardened hangars, boulevards and buildings that look like they're from a movie set, a mosque closed to Americans, and among other things, a movie theater.

In other news, for whatever reason, we were awoken in the night with the news we need to move billets. After completing this task, we had breakfast, set up and played a gig at a DFAC, found some nice KBR guys to hook us up with an 8 hour turn-around on laundry, and then set up for our big gig tonight.

The TCN just informed me my time is up so I am off. Hopefully I'll be able to continue these updates in the future- we're on the move again real soon.

Take care!

J-

No comments: