Saturday, July 21, 2007

Is today Saturday... eh, who cares.



Greetings,

It's incredibly easy to lose track of time and day here in Iraq. We have a few more days here at Balad/LSA Anaconda and we are off to more remote points (I'll let you know when we get there). I'm tired of doing laundry in the shower and am hoping our next location has laundry facilities- this base and the previous had contracted laundry (KBR) with a turn-around time greater than our stay. A one gallon bag and hand soap has been my friend. We have parachute cord strung in our billet to hang dry our clothing and it's working like a charm.

On our way to our day gig, we drove along the wire (base perimeter) and saw Iraqi goat herders (and their goats) on the other side. There was an Apache attack helicopter patrolling and numerous towers that surely had an eye on things. This base is also a major hub for convoys so there are armored vehicles EVERYWHERE. You have to remind yourself this is a real war. Conversation among soldiers in the DFAC (dining facility) also reminds you- it's interesting to hear their experiences.

Perhaps I've mentioned this... I cannot remember. Moving our gear (all in large anvil cases and hard plastic tubs sans wheels) is interesting in the sense my active duty counterparts back at my old band would have an aneurysm taking part- not from the lifting but the complaining. There are no sidewalks/pavement and we have to lift everything in and out of our pickup truck and cargo van. We are spoiled here at Balad because we have vehicles easy to load into! My apologies to any of those folks that may read this... I would have been part of the complaining as well... here we don't have a choice.

Someone asked about down time- at the moment, our down time is in the morning. We've been using it as an opportunity to use the fitness center, do laundry (see above), and repack what is needed for the day... and occasionally grab a nap.

I'm truly stunned how easily I sleep here- almost better than at home. The jets taking off an 1/8th of a mile from my billet doesn't phase me at all and I've yet to hear a night time alarm from the "giant voice." This is a good thing.

Well, if you are reading this and see Tracy, give her a hug for me. To everyone in Alamosa- stay dry! I'm off to dinner.

Take care,

J-

No comments: