Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An Open Invitation to Watch

Yesterday afternoon, our veterinarian performed surgery on our pooch, Gabriel.  Tracy and I cleared our schedules with the intention of waiting impatiently for the doctor to give the thumb's up on a successful procedure.

Instead, we received an invitation into the operating room to watch from beginning to end.

Dr. Ratzlaff talked us through every step of the procedure, explained the anatomy, incisions, showed us the uroliths, discussed the suture patterns, and left us with a positive and anxiety-lessened experience.  He was comfortable in his work, masterful in the surgery, and open to discuss every question we threw his way.  In short, his sincerity and professionalism combined for a special experience in an otherwise undesirable situation.

Gabe is still recovering next to me as I type this and I have to say, my knowledge of canine anatomy and foremost, our trust in Dr. Ratzlaff is unwavering.

                                                          (Gabe pre-surgery)



Let's consider our craft.

Are you more aware of your practice routine when observed by others?

More considerate of your lesson plan or appearance when video recorded?

Bring your "A" game when under the microscope of your employer?

In a session at this year's PASIC, John Parks stated he records each lesson he teaches.  This provides his students with an archive to refer to and ensures his best teaching.  I found this approach inspiring, honest, and very refreshing.

Might this openness towards constant observation improve your craft?

Gain credibility with your students, audience, or potential clients?

Personally, I welcome observers to my rehearsals, lessons, and classes.  When teaching private lessons to pre-college students, I encourage parents to observe.  I require my percussion methods students to observe percussion lessons and percussion ensemble rehearsals.  If a student intends to teach private lessons, I encourage them to observe several teachers to acquire a variety of styles.

And yes,  I'd be happy to provide video of my practice sessions.*

*Warnings:
May cause drowsiness.  
Wardrobe may be disturbing.
Language may not be suitable for children.

3 comments:

Felicia Behm said...

I absolutely teach better when observed, follow lesson plans more efficiently when I record myself, and perform better after practicing in front of people a few times. Despite knowing that about myself, I record myself and involve other people much less frequently than I should.

I read an article a while back about using Evernote as a lesson tool, and it is an idea that has really stuck with me. Evernote is such a valuable tool, because you can access it on your computer, tablet, and phone and they all update each other. This particular teacher discussed recording lessons and then uploading those videos into a folder which he shares with that particular student. Not only does he have the lessons recorded for himself, but then the student can watch the lesson (edited or uncut) and remind himself what was said. So often as a student I had a hard time remembering everything my professor said, until I started recording lessons. This is a great tool and one that I definitely want to use as my studio grows.

With my students, I have them sign an audio-visual agreement upon registration. This gives me permission to record their lessons, and I have started doing that more frequently. I have not shared the videos with students yet (because 5-year-olds will not benefit from them) but I plan to when I have older students. And I plan to use Evernote to do it.

Just another trick to add to a teacher's handbag!

Evernote Article from DrumChattr: http://drumchattr.com/evernote-and-my-studio-the-beginning/

James Doyle said...

Felicia,
Thanks for the comment. Very wise to get student releases to video. Did you create the form? I'd be interested to know what you have on the form.

Evernote has pretty much changed my life for the better and it's always great to hear how others utilize the program. My studio lessons are a bit of a progressive- taking place in as many as 5 rooms.

With Evernote and an iPad, the organizational aspect is so easy to maintain. Same goes for ensemble rehearsals- having access to everything at my finger tips- lesson plans, Youtube clips, iTunes, Dropbox, etc. A beautiful thing.

What do you use for a camera?

Felicia Behm said...

Oops, sorry for the delay!

I did create my own audio/visual agreement form. I have a portion of my website called "Spotlight On", where I feature a student who is doing really well. The form is based on this, and I explain what it is and the benefit. It finishes by asking for permission to use any photos or videos on the website and all social networking platforms. They then have the option to agree completely, allow photos but use a pseudonym for privacy, or choose to not allow their image or name to be used.

I do still record lessons, even if they do not givepermission to use it, with the understanding that it will not go online at any time.

Right now I use a Flip HD camera, but it is nearing the end of its life so I will need something new. I may try recording video with my tablet and use audio from my Zoom, but that may end up being too much of a hassle when I have a larger student base.