Monday, February 20, 2012

Blogging about Blogs

Blogs answer questions the reader has yet to formulate.

I write when inspiration strikes and something is in need of vetting.  If this endeavor were to serve as a means to monetize my thoughts, I'd fail miserably.

There are countless blogs worth subscribing to and even more unworthy. For my taste, I consider the source. In the percussion world, unfortunately, many of the industry's "fountains of knowledge" do not blog. Younger generations of percussionists have embraced blogging but the content may or may not contain wisdom. That's the downside when anyone can be "published."

On the upside, blogging raises the stakes, forcing the writer to put thoughts into the public domain. However, unlike something published in book or magazine, it can always be re-edited or simply deleted.

For this reason, blogging is a tool for my music business students to:
a. establish a web presence
b. raise the stakes on their writing and help clarify their thoughts

I'd like to share periodic entries of my students, because in some instances, they write about great topics with astute thoughts and opinions.

In this case, Chelsea, a clarinet performance, music education, and composition student (who also plays piano in my big band) writes on education.  She has something to say.  She has an angle.  It's interesting and well-presented.

Give it a read and consider following her entries:
 
Chelsea's Blog

No comments: