Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It takes the H1N1 to force a blog update

Here I am, lying in bed with a fever, cough, congestion, and what seems to be the flu. Naturally, it takes an ailment to slow me down and stop pushing forward. It must be time to write.

So what's taken place since the conclusion of the spring semester? Somewhere in there was summer break but for the life of me, I cannot recall what sort of vacation time occurred. I spent quite a bit of time playing in and around OKC, of all places. I played the Music in the Mountains Festival in Durango where I met some wonderful people and enjoyed playing some terrific music at Durango Mountain Resort and the Bootjack Ranch. Other than that, where did the summer go? There were the occasional folk music gigs, pop music gigs, and recording projects, but for whatever reason, nothing is jumping out.... maybe it's the fever.

The school year started with a very motivated drum line, a young but very promising big band, and a very, very busy academic schedule. In addition to nine lessons at the college and three private students, I'm directing the steel drum band, percussion ensemble, big band, teaching a section of music literature, percussion methods, jazz improvisation, and assisting with the marching band. At some point, I have to get the basketball band up and running. In addition, there are the regular trips to Dallas, gigs with Eric Shiveley, some recent recordings at Don Richmond's studio for Michael Hearn, Nick Branchal (ASC faculty member and founder of all of the great Mariachi ensembles in Colorado and New Mexico), and Fred Hargrove.

We've accomplished a very early homecoming concert with the steel drum band, jazz combo, and big band, and another is just around the corner. Hopefully, as I continue to lay here in bed and type, the big band is rehearsing without me! Same goes for tonight's community and college steel drum bands...

Over the weekend, as this flu was starting to settle in, I rehearsed with Denver singer/songwriter, Andy Ard for an upcoming gig in Morrison. He is a wonderful musician and I am grateful to get to play with him. We met years ago at a video shoot for Eric Shiveley's movie, played a gig together with Eric a year and a half ago, and now a trio gig with a Denver bassist, Steve Millin.

It's also a pleasure to have a gradually growing rep with Tracy where we can play without too much preparation or stress. I fact, we recently performed together in Sequoia National Park at a retreat center for a wedding. A beatiful setting for a beatiful wedding. It was memorable for it's uniqueness, as well as the family of bears we came across!

In case I don't get around to another update anytime soon, some other projects include a series of clinics throughout the area, including the Colorado Day of Percussion with She-e Wu. A gig with the Taos chamber music group, Soundscapes, and a few more surprises. It's also time for another faculty recital... perhaps early May? First, I must conquer the flu, then some new repertoire.

No comments: