Sunday, April 26, 2009

One Week to Go!!

Greetings- These blog updates tend to be few and far between. Since the last post, I've been a bit swamped with booking a tour of Oklahoma, teaching classes and lessons, and either directing or performing recitals. The past few weeks included a performance for the dedication of some new Guatemalan marimbas for the valley's Guatemalan community, the final jazz ensembles concert of the year, a performance with saxophonist Ryan Janus, and the capstone performance for my percussionists, the spring ASC Percussion Ensemble and Steel Drum Bands performance. Everything was a success and we are a week from finals. Tracy and I have a duo recital on May 3rd at 7pm Leon Recital Hall which should be fun. We have selected some interesting works, including opportunities for me to play some tar and bendir, as well as the usual marimba,vibraphone, and drummy stuff.

An interesting opportunity closes Tuesday night with my lecture on the music of Pakistan for a class taught by 16 different professors from different disciplines throughout the semester. Could there be a country more important for our future? The preparation for my section of the course has taught me a lot about Pakistan and raised my awareness beyond the headlines.

My to do list for the summer looks promising. I cannot wait to begin!

No comments: