Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Building an Inventory

How do you build a collection of the music, mallets, and instruments needed to freelance, teach privately, and make a living as a musician?

One purchase at a time.

Like all planning, think in the short, medium, AND long term. What types of gigs might you play? Do you currently have a vehicle to get you and your instruments to the gig with ample cargo space? What can you afford today? Save for tomorrow? Can you afford rent for the extra room these instruments require? Can you borrow instruments from your institution (either as a teacher or student) or the local high school?

While ordering the custom built marimba of your dreams will be inspiring, give you the ability to practice marimba whenever you like, and a nice big piece of furniture to add to your home, do you think you'll make a living playing marimba? To be honest, I bought the marimba of my dreams when I started teaching college... one place where a marimba is requisite.

Make a list of what you need for the career you desire. Then price that list, considering quality versus price point. Update your list as you purchase and your plans change. Set money aside for these purchases, and don't beat yourself up if you absolutely have to have that pandeiro but aren't sure if you'll play gigs on it. If you get proficient, there's no reason you couldn't. And you could always start with this pandeiro instead (I love mine and yes, have made money playing gigs on it).

Before the marimba, bills were paid with a drum set, concert snare, triangle, tambourine, an old Deagan glockenspiel, crash cymbals, a xylophone, etc etc. Lessons were taught on these instruments, and you know, they were affordable to acquire- one purchase at a time.

It's never too soon to start collecting your tools of the trade. Keep an eye on Craigslist, eBay, and the occasional estate sale. Although this is a dark statement, many of your peers bail from a career in music and are left with music, mallets, and more that are often sold for cheap.

Before you buy that incredible chromatic set of tuned almglocken, ask yourself if it is the top of your list, will help distinguish your career, and bring personal and financial reward to your future.

Now get to that list!


Visit my website at www.jameswdoyle.com

2 comments:

marimbasass said...

I wish I had played more drumset in college since those skills are used a lot more than I thought outside of school.
Congas were my surprise purchase for church playing but after I did it it made since. One other thing to consider is do you want all of these instruments at home or can you keep some at a school or church locked up.
As far as "toys" I usually buy them when they are needed. For example, I bought a Flex-a-tone when I needed it for Once on this Island musical. I also got a break drum when I needed that for Urinetown.

James Doyle said...

Thanks for the comment. Excellent points and regarding congas- always a good purchase!

Would you say that owning certain instruments has affected your gigs? Affected your focus as a percussionist (and therefore the types of gigs you play)?

Your mention of drum set is so often heard and experienced, especially in many higher education programs. My philosophy is that all of my students should be comfortable playing in numerous styles, follow form, read charts, and experience playing in a rhythm section. These days, recordings, books with play-a-longs, etc are so readily available, it's very reasonable to be able to do the above.

As far as buying stuff- you are spot on with the idea of buying what you need, as long as the cost doesn't outweigh your financial needs at that time. As I type this, I'm looking at a collection of bird and game calls on a shelf that would rival most safari companies. After a performance where I played several different calls, I had an audience member tell me they had some other calls they'd like to give me. Which leads to another point... never pass up a free instrument!

I'm very much a grown adult, but my family still buys me interesting and unique instruments for birthdays and holidays. I much prefer these gifts over socks and flannel work shirts anyways.


Thanks for commenting on this post!!

James