Tuesday, March 31, 2009

North American Frame Drum Association Festival and More Events to Come

,
It's the last day of March and so much to do before the end of the semester. I find that blogging helps me organize what has just passed and prepare for the next step... feeling productive while not exactly being productive.

So I live in a very remote region of the Colorado Rockies and find it hysterical that as I type this, Valerie Naranjo is at my house practicing on my marimba for the New York City Weekend of Percussion, and in a few days, I'll be hanging out here in Alamosa with Samir Chatterjee, tabla virtuoso.

This past weekend was an inspiring time in New Jersey. The North American Frame Drum Association festival took place outside of NYC and was truly an amazing experience. The biggest names in frame drumming held workshops, taught private lessons, and performed concerts. It's a small event so you really feel as though you are getting up close experiences. One of these days, I'll write more about the event, but with so much marimba, vibraphone, and chamber music to practice for upcoming recitals, frame drumming will have to wait... although I may compose something for tar, bendir, and flute for the May recital. We'll see if we have time. Regardless, I'd like to attend NAFDA North in Brattleboro, VT in October. Tracy's family is from the area, the leaves may be changing, I can visit the Cooperman factory again, and what an excuse to head back east. Here's a pic of Steafan Hannigan, Irish musician and amateur comedian.

No comments: