Friday, June 27, 2008

Back in Texas...

Greetings Everyone!

Due to the cost of gasoline, an unintended aspect of travel includes free upgrades on rental cars. Turns out, economy/compacts are now popular, and mid-size cars are crap. My particular "upgrade" is a driving blind spot with AC unable to contend with the oppressive heat and humidity the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is experiencing. Texas, Texas, Texas...

We are locked in rehearsal mode for the next couple of days before setting out on what should be a decent tour. I say decent because it will take us through New Mexico and Colorado, with extended stays in Santa Fe and Durango. Who can complain about that? Well, I'll let you know- surely we'll have guilty parties.


Thoughts from today's rehearsal:

-I should find a psychologist/sociologist willing to split research on morale and the under-staffed percussion section.
-Playing drum set with a concert band is like trying to drive a tractor trailer on ice.
-I think I've played every piece ever written for the wind ensemble/ concert band... and if not, I might as well have- it's all running together....
-Pop tunes from last summer's Middle East/East Africa tour suck a year later. Although, we now have the guy from this group fronting our band. He doesn't suck. La Bouche was huge in Europe and evidently, did well here too. Even I know this song...

I'll write more as the tour progresses, assuming wifi stays free and plentiful. Less drama from last year's tour is guaranteed (no mortars/rockets/camels/biblical ruins/African villages/humvees/black hawks/and sweaty rides in C-130's)

No comments: